top of page

Residential Agreements


Moving into an aged care home establishes a personal relationship between you and the management of the home. It also establishes a legal relationship.


If you choose to enter into an agreement, you don't have to sign it at the time it is offered. You may want to take time to ask your friends, family, carer, financial adviser or legal practitioner for help to go through the agreement, although you don't have to.


If you assessed as being eligible to pay a Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) or a Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP), then you'll need to sign the Resident Agreement within 28 days of moving into your aged care home.


If you are not required to pay a Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) or a Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP), there is no time limit for signing the agreement. However, it is still in your best interests to finalise the Resident Agreement as soon as you can, as it covers your rights and responsibilities.

Agreement Content

A resident agreement sets out a resident’s rights and obligations, and the rights and obligations of the manager of the aged care home. The agreement should include:


  • the type of care to be provided


  • the circumstances in which the resident may be asked to leave the home


  • the amount of the Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) or a Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP) and the daily care fees or other eligible fees as determined by your financial situation.



At the time of discussing the resident agreement, you can ask us about the care and services that will be provided to you at no additional cost. These specified care and services are set out in the agreement.


Any variations to the agreement must only be made with both the resident’s consent and the consent of the home’s manager. To terminate the agreement, the resident should give the home’s manager seven days written notice of their intention.

Before Signing

We strongly recommend you seek advice before signing the resident agreement, as it is a legally binding document which sets out:


  • what the business or organisation running the aged care home will provide for you, and


  • what your obligations to the management will be


You should not assume that the proposed agreement will operate completely in your interest.


If you change your mind after signing the agreement, you should advise your aged care home in writing within 14 days. If you paid any amounts under the agreement, these must be refunded to you, except for your care fees and charges from the agreed date of entry up to the time you withdrew from the agreement.

Your Rights

You cannot be asked to pay a RAD or DAP unless you have entered into an agreement with Chaffey Aged Care.


If you are paying a RAD or DAP, the agreement should include the amount agreed upon, and any interest that may be charged.


If you are physically unable to sign the agreement, but can understand it and you are willing to sign, you may ask someone with legal authority, such as a person with power of attorney, to sign on your behalf.


Chaffey Aged Care has a responsibility to explain, and help you to understand, all the terms of the agreement being offered. If you need an interpreter, you may contact one by telephoning the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 14 50 (this service incurs a charge).

Respite Care

A resident agreement for respite care should also be offered before moving in.

As in the case of permanent care, the resident respite agreement sets out rights and obligations, and the rights and obligations of the manager of the aged care home.


It will also include:


  • details of any respite booking or cancellation fee, and


  • the dates on which respite care is to be provided.

bottom of page